Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: what is this? E2?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have never heard of this particular number system in Altec's stuff...


    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:SS:US:1

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    what is this? E2?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Easy one- it's obviously not an Altec number.

    Notice the comany name on the label- it's simply an OEM.

    I would assume the Red series referred to on the speaker is the "Big Red" and "little Red" studio monitors.

    These monitors weren't made by Atec but used Altec components branded for them. I believe they made their own crossovers- we're going back awhile here.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    what is this? E2?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Could be an E thru G model. All were used in Reds.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I had a friend that had a pair of these, in Big Reds. I believe they were 604E's with bonefied 8-ohm voice coils (7 ohm DCR). Perhaps they were the immediate predecessor to 604-8g's? I always wondered how the Mastering Labs crossovers worked with the different impedances of the 604's (without affecting the filters). Did they make different versions?

    Dave

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    what is this? E2?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I've seen at least 2 differen Mastering labs crossovers.

    I used to have some schematics. Probably still somewhere in the ton of paper I own.

    I don't think there was an "F" model 604. Never seen one.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member hmole's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2005
    Posts
    130
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The "Big Red" like the Urei studio monitors used a 604 with an upgraded crossover. Fairly common in the late 70's, Made here in Stamford CT.
    I do not recall which 604 it was, but a later model with the ferrite magnet on the HF, possibly the 8g.
    Harry

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member DSauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    106
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Old Guy, you're right. There was never an "F". They went from "E" to "G". The very late G's carrying the Tangerine phase plug. Then with the "H" you got the Tangerine with the Mantaray style horn. That being the last 604 model with Alnico mags. Truthfully, the pictures offered in that auction don't look like the same speaker. The side view is definitely alnico, but that top view looks shorter, as in ferrite. Hence the sellers remark about the extra crossover being from a "K". If that's the case, I'm curious as to what the winner may get.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Usefull 604 chart. The 604-8H-II not included.

    ..................................................

    22


    ................................................

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    what is this? E2?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Doesn't list that the late "G' models had tangerines- they did.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Noted and added to the original . No need in posting new chart.

    ........................................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.